Saturday 18 January 2014

What is seam allowance

Seam allowance - What is it and when to use smaller or larger seam allowances:


Seam allowance is the distance from the edge of the fabric to the stitching line. I generally use
smaller seam allowances  for:
- curved areas because it is easier to manage. My learning from difficulty  in sewing sleeves got me have smaller seam allowances
larger seam allowances for:
- straight finishes and especially when gathering is required because of the number of stitches needed within seam allowance to gather fabric.

How to sew for a given seam allowance:


Seam allowance plate guide
I'm here using a 1.5 cm seam allowance.  You can see on the plate that seam allowances are marked to the right and left of the sewing foot.





 seam allowance marking on sewing plate
 You'll need to position your fabric such that the fabric cut corner (circled in red) meets the seam allowance line (circled in blue) at the required seam allowance.








How to sew for a particular seam allowance
 I've here positioned it for 1.5 cm.

What is seam allowance and how much to use
Here it is - 1.5 cm seam allowance.














My machine doesn't have the needle in the center position so the seam allowance from the needle position to the guide on the machine is slightly larger than what the guide shows.
So I position my fabric slightly before the guide value I keep consistent seam allowance.

-Preethi.

If you enjoyed reading this you can either like my facebook page to get all updates and more or you can opt to receive posts via email. Don't forget to activate your subscription though!

1 comment:

  1. Hi
    You have written lovely info for beginners who learn by themselves
    Thanks for this info

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...