Friday 31 January 2014

What is basting

Basting is to run a stitching line with the longest stitch length.(4 on my machine).

What is basting and why is it used

What is basting

 Uses are:
1. Temporarily hold the fabrics together before running the actual stitch. Its quick since it takes less time due to stitch length. I've used this for collars for a dress made for my daughter.
2. Temporarily hold the fabric to the zipper.  I've had not much luck with zips. Now that I've a new foot, I'll give it another so. You can see the post here - zipper foot not working
3Gathering You can see how basting rows of stitching helps in perfect gathers. - the gathering stitches are also called basting stitches.
4. Easing at the sleeves. Similar method of gathering is used to create ease at the top of the sleeves.

Thanks for reading.
Have a good weekend.

If you enjoyed reading this you can either like my facebook page to get all updates and more or you can opt to receive posts via email. Don't forget to activate your subscription though!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...